FARM BUSINESSES NEED BUSINESS SYSTEMS & STRUCTURE
No matter what field of interest you have in agriculture, there are some key business principles that will always serve you well.
Here are my top ten.
1. Your past results will not determine your future results
2. What got you to this point in your business won’t necessarily get you to the next level in business.
3. The more you learn, the more you earn.
4. You need to have a process or system that is repeatable.
5. Progress will serve better than protection
6. Asking for help is not a weakness.
7. You will always run out of time.
8. The reason you are in business is to solve problems.
9. It takes about 7-10 years to be instantly successful in business.
10. Your family is far more valuable than your business ever will be.
Be clear about how these principles influence you in business.
Business needs planning and structure; here is my simplified view of what your business is and does.
Get this right, and you will succeed in any business you are involved in. When people talk about working on your business and not in it, these are things they are talking about.
Of course, you need to do both. The dual focus of strategy and execution will be imperative. I like to use Keith Cunningham’s business model to showcase each element of a successful business.
Is your business well throughout and well planned? Or are you just going through the motions and hoping for the best?
Either way, it is a choice.